53 Acres of Residential and Agricultural – Horses Permitted – Road Frontage
53 AC in Suffolk. This property is located along Rt. 58 in the growing West Suffolk area, minutes from downtown. The tract fronts Rt. 58 and the back side on Barnes Rd. The land is comprised of mostly agricultural farm land and approximately 10 wooded acres. This property has many possibilities and is zoned for horses. Build your home near the timber and use the cleared land for your animals! Soils are well drained and indicate the possibility for a conventional septic. Commercial opportunities along Rt. 58, per Suffolk city. Great opportunity to own a large area tract in this fast-growing area! Priced to sell.
Suffolk is very historically significant. It was founded by English colonists in 1742 as a port town on the Nansemond River in the Virginia Colony. Originally known as Constant’s Warehouse, for settler John Constant, Suffolk was renamed after Royal Governor William Gooch’s home of Suffolk, a county in East Anglia, England. Before European contact, indigenous American tribes lived in the region for thousands of years. At the time of English settlement, the Nansemond Indians lived along the river. In the early colonial years, the English cultivated tobacco as a commodity crop, but later turned to mixed farming. It became the county seat of Nansemond County in 1750.
Early in its history, Suffolk became a land transportation gateway to the areas east of it in South Hampton Roads. Before the American Civil War, both the Portsmouth and Roanoke Railroad and the Norfolk and Petersburg Railroad were built through Suffolk, early predecessors of 21st century Class 1 railroads operated by CSX Transportation and Norfolk Southern, respectively. Other railroads and later major highways followed after the war.
Suffolk became an incorporated town in 1808. In 1910, it incorporated as a city and separated from Nansemond County. However, it remained the seat of Nansemond County until 1972, when its former county became the independent city of Nansemond. In 1974, the independent cities of Suffolk and Nansemond merged under Suffolk’s name and charter.
Peanuts grown in the surrounding areas became a major industry for Suffolk. Notably, Planters’ Peanuts was established in Suffolk beginning in 1912. Suffolk was the ‘birthplace’ of Mr. Peanut, the mascot of Planters’ Peanuts. For many years, the call-letters of local AM radio station WLPM stood for World’s Largest Peanut Market.
For more information on this and other Farm Land For Sale in Suffolk VA, contact Brian Saunders at 757-876-9182, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit our website at www.mopva.com.
- Price: 199,900
- Acreage: 53
- Address: Old South Quay Road, Suffolk, VA 23437
- Property State: Virginia
- Property County: Suffolk
- Deer Hunting:
- Turkey Hunting:
- Small Game Hunting:
- MOPLS ID: 44025
- Status: New
- Tract Name: 53 ac WLG Properties LLC Suffolk Co BS/PS